Let me start by saying that this parfait is AWESOME for a couple of reasons 1) It's EASY to make and 2) It's packed with protein which keeps you feeling satisfied for several hours AND can help curb cravings later in the day. It also tastes just like a yogurt parfait...just without the yogurt ;)
The secret for this recipe is that it is made with organic silken tofu and coconut cream. When blended, the tofu takes on that smooth yogurt-y texture, while the coconut cream adds the satisfying creamy texture thanks to the healthy fats it contains! Silken tofu is different than regular tofu. It is softer and has less water content, making it ideal for pie fillings, mousse, and yogurt-less, protein-packed PARFAITS! Just be sure to choose organic tofu. You can read all about tofu and how to choose the best quality here.
I like to play around with my Vitamix, and am always experimenting with different blended food combos (and yes, I'll admit that sometimes the results are NOT pretty or delicious!). But this experiment was a success! So whether you avoid dairy or are just looking for a different way to do up breakfast I recommend you give this recipe a try!
Dairy-free Vanilla Protein Breakfast Parfait
Ingredients (Makes 2 servings):
- 1 package of Silken Firm Tofu (Make sure you buy silken tofu for this recipe! Regular tofu will not blend smoothly)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (can use full-fat coconut milk, but only use the cream on the top. You can save the liquid for other recipes!)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sweetener of choice. I blended in 2 medjool dates, but 1-2 tablespoons of coconut sugar, turbinado sugar, or maple syup would all be good options! Taste test and add more if you want it sweeter!
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- Fruit for topping
- Other optional toppings: Granola, coconut, nuts, cacao nibs. Possibilities are endless!
- Place the tofu, coconut cream, vanilla, and sweetener of choice in your blender and blend until smooth. NOTE: If you make this the morning you plan to eat, make sure to put the tofu and coconut cream/milk in the refrigerator overnight! If making the night before, these ingredients can be room temp since you will be storing in the fridge overnight anyway!)
- Optional: If making the night before, divide the parfait mixture into 2 mason jars or other containers and stir in 1 tablespoon of chia seeds in each. This further thickens the texture and adds a good source of inflammation-fighting omega 3 fatty acids.
- Top with your favorite fruit and whatever else you like, such as granola, coconut, nuts, etc. and enjoy!
- You can also blend fruit in along with the other ingredients for a fruity-flavored mousse. Unsweetened cocoa powder could be added for a chocolate version of this recipe (it tastes like chocolate mousse!). So many ways to play around with this recipe!
There you go! An easy and delicious breakfast treat! Give it a try and be sure to leave a comment below telling me what you think! OR post a photo on Instagram using the hashtag @sunsoulwellness!
I hope you all enjoy the rest of your week! Hopefully we get to enjoy some summer weather soon! :)